Before you begin an IDC you need to make sure that you meet the minimum starting requirements as set by PADI. You also need a few pieces of diving equipment for safety and teaching, if you don’t own these, they are easy to purchase during your IDC, please see the list below.
PADI IDC Requirements
You will need to have all of these to begin an IDC.
- Hold a PADI Divemaster or Assistant Dive Instructor qualification with current paid membership of PADI, or an equivalent leadership level certification with another training organization.
- Have proof of 60 logged dives
- Have medical clearance of fitness to dive, signed and dated by a doctor within the past 12 months*
- Emergency First Response training within the last 24 months
- Have been a certified diver (Open Water Diver course or equivalent) for at least six months
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be able to swim with mask/snorkel/fins 800 metres
- Tread water for 10 minutes
- Have experience in night dives, deep dives and underwater navigation
- Have completed the recent version of PADI IDC eLearning
If you have been out of Divemaster teaching status for a long period, please let us know as some retraining may be required prior to the course.
The ruling is that you that you need 60 dives to start the course and 100 dives to attend the Instructor examination. There are no logged dives during the course so effectively you will need 100 logged dives to start.
If you do not have 100 dives or you do not have the dives logged please let us know before arriving.
This can by your local doctor or done here in Phuket prior to the start of the course. If you have no medical concerns the Phuket is generally cheaper. If you have any medical concerns it is best to see your local GP before you arrive. Please download the medical checklist prior.
If your Emergency First Response training has expired you can do an EFR Refresher in Phuket or THB 3,000.
* EFR training is included in your PADI Rescue Diver Course. If it has expired you wll need to renew it before the IDC begins.
Required Equipment For All IDC Candidates
Please be aware that if you renting equipment from Aussie Divers Phuket, that the following items are NOT included with your free equipment rental and will need to be purchased if you don’t have them.
- Surface Marker Buoy
- Finger Reel or Buoy Line (5 meter)
- Pocket O2 Mask
- Dive Knife
This equipment counts as the basic necessities and highly recommended safety equipment for any scuba diver to carry with them on any dive, in some places it is even required by law, beyond that, it is just smart to dive safe and have the necessary tools and equipment required.
All PADI instructors are required to own this equipment and know-how to operate the individual items safely & effectively, there will be no discussion about whether you need these items, if you do not have them, you will be buying them during your IDC.